Monday, April 9, 2018


Pepperdine cut a 4-0 deficit to 4-3, but a diving catch by the Tigers ended the game

Pepperdine reliever Jeremy Farraye throws a pitch earlier this season. (Jeff Golden Photo)

MALIBU, Calif.
 – The Pepperdine baseball team rallied for three runs in the ninth, but fell a run short of sending the game to extras as the Waves dropped the series finale to Pacific 4-3 Sunday afternoon at Eddy D. Field Stadium.
Trailing 4-0 in the bottom of the ninth, Pepperdine (14-16, 6-6) got an RBI single from Jordan Qsar and a two-run single from Mike Malinchak to cut the Pacific (12-18, 4-8) lead to one – but the Waves left the game-tying run stranded at first.

  • Sophomore second baseman Quincy McAfee (Houston, Texas/Westside HS) went 2-for-3 with a double and run scored.
  • Freshman Mike Malinchak (Delray Beach, Fla./American Heritage HS) came up clutch with a two-out, two-run single in the ninth inning to cut the Pacific lead to one.
  • Sophomore right-hander Michael Mahony (Huntington Beach, Calif./Edison HS) entered the game with the bases and no outs in the eighth inning and got the Waves out of the jam with a pair of strikeouts and a lineout.
Pacific got on the board first in the third inning as after leaving five on base in the first two innings, broke through with a two-run single by Kevin Sandri to take a 2-0 lead.
The Tigers score a run in the fifth and another in the sixth to take a 4-0 advantage.
Pepperdine didn’t get their first hit of the game until Quincy McAfee hit a double to center field in the fifth inning and had only two hits entering the ninth inning.
Chase Lambert got the ninth inning rally going by leading off with a walk and eventually advanced to second base on a groundout. With two outs, Qsar picked up his team-leading 33rd RBI with a single up the middle. McAfee followed with an infield single and the two eventually advanced to second and third.
That’s when Mike Malinchak – who entered the game in the ninth when Qsar moved from right field to the mound – came through with a two-run single to left-center field to cut the Pacific lead to 4-3. Unfortunately for the Waves, that’s as close as they got as Billy Cook drove a ball to right field – but Pacific’s Bradley Jekich made a diving catch near the line to end the game and keep the tying run from scoring.

The Waves travel to take on Cal State Fullerton 6 p.m. Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment