Tuesday, November 10, 2015

EXCLUSIVE Actor Spotlight: 'Best Friends Whenever" Landry Bender

Fifteen year old Landry Bender is an american actress from Chicago, Illinois, She currently stars as Cyd in the Disney Channel series 'Best Friend Whenever' alongside Lauren Taylor who plays Shelby. Before 'Best Friends Whenever' she stared in The Council of Dads' (2011), 'The Sitter' (2011), and 'Crash & Bernstein' among others.

Our founder/editor David Mills had the chance to interview this fifteen year old actress on different topics. Below is what Landry had to say.

When did you start acting?

I started acting at the age of 5. I played a flower in my community theatre’s production of Peter Pan and the rest is history.

Was it your dream to be an actress?

I honestly don’t remember a time when it wasn’t. Performing has always been something that has come so naturally whether it be in front of my parents or on Disney Channel, it’s something I’ve always loved.

Are there challenges pursuing a acting career?

Absolutely. I feel it’s that way no matter how far along you are.  There’s so much rejection involved and that’s something that even now is so hard for me to get used to.

Do you remember your first acting job, tell us about it?

I remember it very well! I was 9 years old. It was an insurance commercial that shot in the summer on the Warner Brother's lot, it never aired. (laughs)

You play Cyd on the Disney Channel series 'Best Friends Whenever'. Tell us about your character?

Cyd is a super determined, strong, and edgy girl. Along with her best friend Shelby, they have to navigate school, friend drama, and time travel. I absolutely love playing her because she has so many layers and I love getting to see how she reacts to the situations the girls are put through, good and bad.

Are your cast members easy to work with?

No, in the sense that we laugh so much we can hardly get through scenes! But for real, the cast have serious become more like siblings to me. It’s so cool to be able to come to “work” with kids who are all around your age and do the same thing as you on a daily basis.

What do fans have to look forward to in future episodes of 'Best Friends Whenever'?

SO MUCH. I’m actually not quite sure what they’ve released yet but we deal with boy problems, family issues, and trying to fix MAJOR problems all through time travel. I love this show because it’s super relatable to our viewers with the content we have but we put an extra twist on it with the time travel element which I love.

How does the cast get ready for scenes?

We always run lines together which is super helpful and a lot easier once we go out on stage. We really just try and bond as much as possible. As cheesy as it sounds, the more our friendship grows off-screen the more it shines and makes the show that much better on screen which is a super cool thing that we always try to keep in mind.

Do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in acting?

Go for it. It’s of course a lot more complex than that but find any way you can to simply go for it. Whether it be through local theatre, or commercials, or making sketches with your friends, it’s so important to explore the whole business as much as you possibly can.

What do you hope your fans can take away from your acting?

I hope they fall in love with the characters as much as I do. Even Cyd specifically with the help of our creators I’ve worked so hard on and have tried to perfect her as much as I possibly can. She’s super special to me and I hope as the show grows, she’s becomes super specials to our viewers as well.


It's hard to find free time while busy on projects. When you do, how do you spend it?

This is going to sound SO strange but I have this weird obsession with brunch. I think brunch is the greatest thing ever and whenever I’m off I just want to spend every day at a cafĂ© eating brunch. (laughs)

Does your family and friends support you?

I will go on record and say I have the best support system in the world. I love my family and friends so much and I couldn’t imagine better people to have around.

Who inspires you with your acting?

SO many people. That kind of goes along with the people I’d love to work with. I aspire to be half of the entertainment people like Neil Patrick Harris/Betty White/Jennifer Lawrence are; them and so many others inspire me to want to get better.

What do you hope to accomplish with your acting?

Like I said in the previous question to keep getting better. It sounds so simple but with every line that comes out of my mouth I want to be getting better and better the more I work, simple as that.

Is it hard for you to remember your lines? How do you remember them?

It honestly depends on what you’re working on. With multi-cam, you’ve already done three days of rehearsal. That being said, everyday the script changes. With single-camera, sometimes things can be more improved depending on the project.

Are you passionate about any charities, if so, why?

So many! As a teenager in this business, I want to take advantage of opportunities I’m given and have the ability to learn as much as I possibly can. I love getting involved with charities that have to do with kids, especially. I feel like I can obviously relate so much to them.

Is education important to you?

More than anything!  I was just at a meeting about college with my parents this week, actually (CRAZY!). But for real, you do meet a lot of young people in this industry that don’t put as much emphasis on education. I’m not putting those down but it is something that has always been important to me and just because acting is something I do full time, I feel that that doesn’t mean I should put less into school. It’s a juggling act at times, but I do my best to make it work.

Do you have any other talents?

It depends on who you ask!! (laughs) I love singing, dancing, writing, and everything and anything to do with fashion. I also want to pursue directing and producing as I get older. Oh! And keep on with my love of breakfast foods.

You can follow Landry on Twitter by clicking here.

We can't wait for future episodes of 'Best Friends Whenever' which airs on Sunday nights at 8:30pm ET/PT. The next new episode will air on November 27th, 2015 entitled "Cyd and Shelby Strike Back", a hour long special.

The photographs in this article are credited to Catie Laffoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment