Thursday, February 17, 2022

LIU LEADS TEAM USA IN BEIJING


Alysa Liu led the field for Team USA with a seventh place finish in the women’s event at the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022. Mariah Bell finished 10th and Karen Chen 16th.


Alysa Liu led the field for Team USA with a seventh place finish in the women’s event at the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022. Mariah Bell finished 10th and Karen Chen 16th.

Liu closed out her Olympic debut with a strong free skate to “The red-crowned crane,”

which scored 139.45 points. She opened with a triple Axel attempt and scored four Level 4 elements, helping her earn a total score of 208.95 points and finish seventh place.

“I’m so happy with two clean programs,” Liu said. “It’s better than I ever thought I would do at the Olympics, and I’m really happy about it.”

Bell earned 136.92 points in her free skate to “Hallelujah” by k.d. lang. Opening with a triple flip-double Axel sequence, she earned Level 4 on four elements. Her total score of 202.30 points landed her in 10th place overall.

“It means everything to me,” Bell said. “Coming in, I just wanted that moment, and you really want to have that moment after a long program. To be able to do that, I’m just really proud.”

Chen, who also performed her free skate in the team event, opened her “Butterfly Lovers Concerto” program with a double Axel-triple toe loop combination and earned Level 4 on four elements en route to a score of 115.82. With 179.93 total points, she finished 16th.

“It’s incredible to just know that I’ve made it here,” Chen said. “It did not go the way I wanted to, but I also had my moment in the team event, too. So, there are a lot of positive things to look at.”

The Russian Olympic Committee finished first and second, with Anna Shcherbakova finishing first with 255.95 points and Alexandra Trusova capturing second with 251.73 points. Japan’s Kaori Sakamoto secured third with 233.13 points.

Figure skating at the Capital Indoor Stadium continues with the pairs short program tomorrow, Feb. 18, at 6:30 p.m. (5:30 a.m. ET). Fans can follow along on the U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone Competition Central

No comments:

Post a Comment