Sunday, July 25, 2021

Team USA Continues Win Streak into Day Two of Olympic Games Tokyo 2020

TOKYO, JULY 25 - Team USA continued their winning ways during the second day of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, advancing both boxers to the round of 16 in their respective divisions.



Keyshawn Davis (Norfolk, Va.) made his highly

anticipated Olympic debut this evening and showed why he is one to watch during these Olympic Games.



Davis, the 2019 Pan American Games and World Championships silver medalist, faced a familiar foe from earlier in his elite career, Enrico Lacruz of Netherlands. The lightweight won every judges’ scorecard between the three rounds, including two 10-8 rounds on one judges’ card.



Davis showed his excellent skillset, both offensively and defensively, which proved too much for Lacruz, who is competing in his second Olympic Games. The victory sets up an exciting round of 16 matchup with another familiar opponent, 2016 Olympic Games silver medalist Sofiane Oumiha of France. The two met in the quarterfinals of the 2019 Elite World Championships, where Davis came away with the unanimous decision victory.



Flyweight Virginia Fuchs (Houston, Texas) continued Team USA’s winning streak with a 3-2 decision against 15th ranked Svetlana Soluianova of Russia. Fuchs, who faced Soluianova earlier this year at the 2021 Boxam Tournament, redeemed her performance at that tournament to advance to the round of 16. Fuchs won all five judges’ cards in the first round before taking three of the five in the second and third round  



The 2018 World Championship bronze medalist will return to action on Thursday, July 29 with another familiar opponent in Stoyka Krasteva of Bulgaria, whom Fuchs faced earlier this year at the 2021 Strandja Tournament in Bulgaria.


 

Both Davis and Fuchs’ bouts will be aired on a tape delay on the USA Network tomorrow, July 25. The coverage is scheduled to begin at 3:45 p.m. EST (subject to change).



Troy Isley (Alexandria, Va.) will be the lone American to take to the ring tomorrow during the second session of the day. Click here to follow all the action.



Day 2 Results

51 kg: Virginia Fuchs, Houston, Texas/USA, dec. over Svetlana Soluianova/RUS, 3-2

63 kg: Keyshawn Davis, Norfolk, Va./USA, dec. over Enrico Lacruz/NED, 5-0



Keyshawn Davis Quotes


On his feelings after the win:


“I feel great, I got a unanimous decision on my Olympic debut. I felt like I could have given more, but I did what I had to do.


“In my previous competitions, especially in the amateurs, each day I got better and better, got more in the groove. Today was just the start and there is more to come.”


On postponement of Tokyo 2020 and being able to come back to compete:


“The gold medal is the one and only thing that I need to put on my resume (CV) as of right now. That’s the only thing I am focussing on. I’m happy that I am here. I have never experienced anything like this before and now that I have experienced it I’m glad I got the opportunity to come back and represent Team USA.”


On if his training was different during Covid-19 restrictions:


“Honestly, training has been great. Locked in, it made it easier for us to focus on the task ahead. I feel like it showed today. This wasn’t my best performance; I’d give myself a C-plus or B-minus (grade) but I’m going to get better and better throughout the tournament.”


Virginia Fuchs Quotes


On her victory:

 

“I felt great. I stuck to the game plan. I know at times it was a little sloppy. I wish I kept my composure a little bit, I did get a little frustrated. I never gave up and pushed myself, and that is what I needed do to get the win.”


On conditions impacting her OCD:

 

“It is all about the gold medal. We have been traveling, living out of a hotel for months, and that is very hard for me. I tell myself every day to don’t worry. I have those thoughts and it does bother me, but I always put the gold medal in front of those thoughts and that is what pushes me through every day and why I am here.”


On adjusting to the village:

 

“I am, but everyday is still a struggle, I’m not going to lie, it is hard. I am not going to let those little things take away from what I am here to do. I have worked for 10 years to get to this point, and I am not going to let one second of my contamination fear take that away.”


On training camp in Miyazaki:


“The hotel was really nice. I really enjoyed it. It was a little hard because we could not wonder out and had to take the same route to the gym and to the dining hall every day. They did let us have a little place to go out and get sun light which was nice. Overall, it was a great camp and great experience and I enjoyed it.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment