Tuesday, October 22, 2013

EXCLUSIVE Musician Spotlight: Maggie Baugh Interview

Florida - From the state of Florida comes a very talented thirteen year old singer by the name of Maggie
Baugh. Maggie is a wonderful singer that caught our attention as this young lady is really good. She has recently released a music video to her song "Middle School". Listen/watch the video before.

Maggie is a fiddle/guitar/piano player and is a singer/songwriter. She has been playing violin for 7 years and singing/songwriting since she was 11. "I started writing songs on the computer, but when they put a guitar in my hands.......that was a different story." Now Maggie has 20 original songs, and performs all over Florida, and in Nashville.


Maggie Baugh's Debut Album, "Only Good Things" was recorded at Eagle Canyon Music out of Nashville, Tennessee during the summer of 2013. The album was a released in September of 2013!

We recently had a chance to interview this 13 year old up and coming singer. Here is what she had to say about herself and singing.

When did you start singing?  I started singing and playing guitar about 2 years ago.  I have been playing violin (FIDDLE) since I was 7!

Was it your dream to be a singer? Well actually NO.  At first, my dream was to become famous at playing the fiddle. But now my dream is to become a famous country singer

Tell us about your style of singing? My singing style is kinda unique. I play country/ bluegrass with a little yodel in my voice. I play cover songs, but I countryfi them before i preform them!   Basically, I take a song, like "Stand by Me" and put a country twist to it.  It's FUN!

Are there challenges pursuing a singing career? Yes. There are some challenges with people not liking your music. Sometimes people don't like my music when i preform, but i need my haters to keep me going and just do better.

Does your parents and friends support you? My parents are always there for me every step of the way and i hope they will always be! my friends are also supportive. they think its cool to have a famous best friend  (ok, not very famous YET), but they think it is cool when they see me in the newspaper, and in the flyers for festivals.

Do you write your own songs? Yes i write almost all my songs. i have about 22 original songs.   20 of the songs I wrote by myself and two of them are co-written with some very professional writers.  My album also has two songs written by the producer Steve Thomas, who has a hit bluegrass album, and Jody Harris.  They wrote the songs "See Ya" and "Get Love" which are very cool songs.

If so, tell us what goes into writing a great song? Weather it is a good song or a bad song you should always write whats on your mind. Writing a good song takes time dedication and inspiration. i always write about my personal feelings because i know there is another teenager my age going through the same things.   I almost always think the song I am working on, or my last finished song is my best.

Where was your first performance, were you excited? My first solo performance was at the Broward Center of Performing Arts. It was with the Chrystal Hartigan Presents Singer/Songwriter Showcase, which as an open mic for original songs.  At first, i was nervous about people not liking me because i am a newbe.   But everybody loved my song so i decided to give music a chance. It has never failed me.  Several of the people I met at that event asked me to perform at other events. The next year, Chrystal invited me back as a Featured Performer.   To me, music is a lot of small steps, and it is VERY exciting.

Where have you been able to perform? I have been able to perform at a lot of amazing locations!  Last school year, I played 40 different venues.   I opened the main stage at the Deerfield Beach Country Music Festival this summer, and I have opened for some famous artists like Cowboy Troy and Brent Cobb!  I try to stay away from the bars because i'm 13, but i preform at showcases, fairs, private events, and even birthday parties.

Who inspires you with your singing and songwriting? About two years ago a girl named Caroline Kole inspired me to write.  She was signed with Sony at 14 and i decided i could do that too.  She is now touring with REBA, and has opened for Kenny Rogers.   I have been writing ever since.

If you could perform anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? If i could preform anywhere,  I would preform at the Grand Ole Opry. Preforming at the Grand Ole Opry would make my dreams come true.  The Opry has a circle cut out from the old Ryman auditorium. When i took a tour of it i was able to stand on the circle and see the stage. I felt like I was at home. This would mean the world to me to be able to become one of the stars and to stand where the greatest country stars have played would be a breath taking experience.

Along the same line, who would you love to perform with? I would love to preform with three people. 1. Sara Evans. She brought me into the country world with her song Suds in the Bucket, so singing with her would be the best. 2. Caroline Kole because she got me where i am today and i would love to thank her and let he know she helped me so much. 3. Charlie Daniels I want to play dueling Fiddles with him and see if i can beat him ;-)

What are some of your goals for your Music?  My first goal is for people to listen, and to like my music!   When people like my music, they remember me.  My goal is to be a world wide country star.  To be known some where and have someone be like... do you know who Maggie Baugh is? and they say "yea, i love her".  I cannot tell you how cool it is when someone comes up to me before a show, and tells me they saw me perform before, and that they came out again just to hear me sing!

What do you hope to accomplish with your singing/songwriting?  I like to write about emotions and feelings, so I hope people understand.  Some songs really have a bigger purpose.  I wrote Run by the Clock to bring awareness to the genetic disease GSD.   My brothers have this disease and it virtually unknown by people.  I donate all of the revenue I receive from that song to GSD research at the University of Florida, where my brothers doctor, Dr. David Weinstein, does his research.   You can find out more at www.glycogenstoragedisease.com or you can watch my video on youtube.   (search "run by the clock" in youtube).    My song about Middle School, deals with bullies, and mean girls, and boys, and basically, all the crazy, scary feelings that kids have in middle school.  If you have a kid in middle school, you should have them watch.    Www.MiddleSchoolVideo.com

What three words best describe you and your music? ME: Crazy funny talented MUSIC: unique, special, country

Do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in singing and songwriting? Yes i'll say the same thing Caroline Kole said to me.  Play Everywhere.  Play where ever you can. You don't know who is listening

Is there anything else you want our readers to know about you, your singing/songwriting? That talent isn't all that comes in a package. Talent will only get you so far, but hard work and dedication can get you to become Reba

Do you have any other talents? My Dad says I have a talent for getting out of doing my chores….. but besides playing music, I do not have any other talents that I know about.    I can also play piano and mandolin.

Tell us what it was like filming your first music video?  To be honest all i can say is:  ....... so much fun!! the kids were great. The videographer was amazing to work with and if i could do it again i would!  It really is a fun process.

Working on any new songs?   Yes i am!  I always am writing, but i just finished a new song called "Over You"

What do you hope people get out of your singing?  That music isn't on your outside   Music is inside of you and  every one is born with music, it just depends on how you use it.  What I would like people to get out of my singing is that there is Music for every feeling.  I hope people see my music as positive, and emotional, and I hope people forget their problems, for at least 3:38.  lol – that is the time of my song, Only Good Things.  The title song of my album that just released.   You can listen to it on my Facebook page: Facebook.Com/LikeMaggie and click on the video section!   You can watch my videos, and stream my music for FREE!   If you like it, please click "LIKE" on the page!   And the Album is available on my web site:  www.MaggieBaugh.com   It will be on iTunes soon!

It will be great to see where Maggie's singing takes her as she has a bright future ahead. We wish her all the success

No comments:

Post a Comment