Tuesday, January 19, 2016

EXCLUSIVE Musician Spotlight: Gabriela Sepúlveda

Written By: David Mills, Founder/Editor
From the city of San Jose, California comes a beautiful rising sixteen year old Mariachi/Latino/Pop Spanish/English singer by the name of Gabriela Sepúlveda who has a wonderful voice;

Our founder/editor David Mills had the opportunity to interview this sixteen year on her music, education, passionate about charities and being a normal young lady. Here is what she had to say to David.

When did you start singing?
I started singing since I was very young. It was something that came very naturally to me. I guess that part of that passion came from the fact that my father is a musician who plays various instruments and writes South American Andean songs while my mom always sang at home. The passion for music runs in the family.

Was it your dream to be a singer?
Since I can remember, yes. Singing was always the one thing I would begin to do without me noticing, and I found that it was something I absolutely loved to do. My friends and family gave me the nickname "the Showgirl" since I would always put on a performance when there was a family or friends get together. I remember I would tell Spanish jokes, sing Selena Quintanilla songs, dance, and sometimes even write and perform my own play!

Tell us about your style of singing?

I grew up listening to many types of artists at my house, and that also contributes to the reason as to why I love singing and performing many types of musical genres. However, what I believe sets me apart from other performers is that I sing Mexican Mariachi songs. I have always felt that this is my strongest genre since I love singing with passion and captivating the lives of others by acting it out through my version of storytelling; music with sensitive lyrics and poetic elements are some of my favorite to perform. The love for my Latin blood and culture is shown in my second released song "Pero Nadie" which really gathers drama and romanticism into one. Needless to say, I do enjoy singing pop or country music as well, and this genre resembles the first song I ever wrote "Ya No Te Quiero".

Are there challenges pursuing a singing career and being a normal young lady?
Normal is different to everybody, and it has been difficult combining two of my priorities into one, school and singing. I am the type of girl who loves to try her best in everything she sets her mind to, and that is something that I always take with me everywhere I go. If I have to work in the middle of a rehearsal on a TV show I am competing in, I will, or in the car on the way there, I will. There have also been moments where I have been unable to attend a friend's party, but thankfully my friend's support me and I have been able to do well in both my singing career, and attaining the best grades possible.

Do your parents and friends support you?
For sure! My family is literally the motor of my career. The have, since the beginning, believed in me and immediately aimed to strengthen my skills. My mom is my manager and she is who initially found my first gigs (she continues to do this) and opened my social media pages while my brother helped her or he built one himself. Not only this, but when it comes to recording, my brother records me on the computer using the GarageBand app and mixes my music on there as well. My dad has made a few karaoke tracks for me to use while my mom (or should I say “momager”) always has my back when it comes to how I feel and the different situations I encounter in this career. In most cases she does my hair, designs some dresses of mine, takes pictures, supervises me, and has even served as a vocal coach applying her knowledge of previous vocal technique classes I have taken. Aside from that, sometimes my friends visit me and watch me perform, that it always a special occasion!

Do you write your own songs?
I do. I have always loved writing stories in general and that is also part of the reason why I love performing; not only are you storytelling, but you are doing so through different notes and melodies, it is fascinating to me.

If so, tell us what goes into writing a great song?
When I write a song, it seems as if my mind organizes everyday scenarios I have observed or witnessed, and the feelings tied in those images flows until it exposes itself on paper in the form of words. It is a very beautiful and fragile thing; revealing your inner desires and revealing to others those parts of your soul that people rarely get into. Usually a song begins with a simple line, a melody, or both. Usually I form the chorus first, and from there, I finish the rest of my song, sometimes with the help of my family. If I am very inspired, I could finish a complete song in 20 minutes or less, and sometimes I only focus on a specific part for that amount of time and later move on.  

Where was your first performance, were you excited?
My first performance on a stage was at the age of 8 at my elementary school talent show when I was in 3rd grade. I was definitely excited! but I was also very nervous. I had never performed in front of strangers, only to my relatives and family friends. However, once I stepped in front of the curtains and sang Selena Quintanilla’s song “Como La Flor” (with a karaoke my father made), all nervous energy left and I enjoyed the experience, every second of it. That was when I wanted more and more! I could not get enough of of performing! And as you can see, not even to this day!  

How do you prepare your voice for a performance?
I do about 10-15 minutes of vocal warmups. I do scales and mainly work on my head voice, (since this is what my teachers have taught me is the healthiest and safest way to preserve one’s voice). I also avoid caffeine, since that dries out your throat and lactose (this produces mucus) and I drink a lot of water. This is essential! This lowers the chances of my throat drying out during the performance. Sometimes, I also do full body stretches to release any tension, and prepare my body for singing and not just my singing muscles.

If I went to one of your concerts, what can fans and I expect?
You can expect a great deal of versatility. As I mentioned before, I enjoy singing and performing different types of musical genres, as opposed to just one. You can expect to hear some of my original music that I have written and another song I made with my mother as well. There will be lots of dress changes and all kinds of music that should appeal to everyone’s ears (mariachi, country, ballads, pop, bachata, blues, and soul music).

Where have you been able to perform?
Since I was young, I have been able to perform at various community events in my hometown of San Jose and in the Bay Area; I love giving back to others. I also feel incredibly blessed to say that I have been able to perform and serve as a student representative at an event hosted by the White House at Pixar Animation Studios in Emeryville, California. In this conference, the importance of having music being in the teaching curriculum in schools and its impact were discussed by members of the White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics. Apart from that, I have been able to travel to Los Angeles and Miami to present myself on popular Latin television shows like “Sabado Gigante”, “Tengo Talento”, and “La Voz Kids” (spanish version of The Voice Kids), and I recently auditioned for American Idol where I got the news I am going to Hollywood! These competitions have given me a tremendous amount of exposure and the experience witnessed in one has prepared me both mentally and physically for the next one I auditioned for. I have also been invited to perform at Mariachi Festivals not only in San Jose, but also in Rosarito, Mexico, and at the “Fiestas Jalisco” in Chicago. I love traveling! That is one of the coolest things to do in this career.  

Who inspires you with your singing and songwriting?
My family has definitely had a big part in my decision to make music and they have also motivated me to do so with their undeniable support and precious time. The first song I wrote was “Ya No Te Quiero” at the age of 8. I suspect that the stories I write about in songs come simply from my observations. In all honesty, I have never experienced any of the situations I describe in my songs, but I get them from books I read, movies or tv shows I watch (especially Mexican telenovelas! :) ) or stories from family members, and my own personal beliefs as well.

If you could perform anywhere in the world, where would it be and with who/ why?
At end of the day, the only thing I really want to do is perform, thinking of where I would like to do it is an answer that I feel changes a little too often, since I would love to perform everywhere honestly. Since I was little, I dreamed of performing on a big stage and feel a sense of accomplishment vibrate as I perform, but most importantly I believe it would the people watching me that matters the most. For this reason, I change my dream of performing in a big stadium to what I think would affect me and others as well. I would love to sing at schools and give motivational talks about believing in yourself and the process it took to get where I am today. I would love to specifically go to schools in neighborhoods with a high percentage of a Latino population because I feel I could easily connect with them. I too am a student, I too am Latina, some might have immigrant parents like mine, and most importantly I would put myself in their shoes and ask “would seeing a girl like myself inspire me?” it would be up to those watching to form an answer but I hope, with all my heart, that I can be one of the reasons they wake up the next morning with a sense of pride in themselves, their culture, and that they have full control of doing what they love, only then will I feel like I have truly been successful.

What can you tell us about your 'American Idol' Audition?
Auditioning for “American Idol” was one of the most exciting yet stressful parts of my life. I had to go through a series of many mini auditions in front of different small groups of producers and in each audition, singers were getting eliminated. I had to learn to think on the spot and to be prepared at all times for an unexpected interview or another unexpected audition. When I was finally told I was going to audition in front of the panel of judges, that gave me so much confidence, I felt that if I passed this next audition, I could do anything. It was and continues to be an unforgettable experience. I have learned so much and I am the most grateful to the producers and judges for seeing something in me, and giving me the opportunity to grow as a performer and artist. I can finally say, “I am going to Hollywood!”.

What do you hope to accomplish with your singing/songwriting?
With my singing and songwriting, I hope to inspire those around me. It is easy to give up and move on to something else, but if you truly love to do something, there is no one stopping you, only yourself. You are in control of your decisions and actions, no one else has that power over you. I hope to serve as a good example to children and teens and share with the whole world my reason for fighting for this each and every day. Music has so many benefits like bringing people together, making you feel a certain way with just one note among many others. Music is like my food, I can’t live without it, it would be like being in a cage for the rest of my life, I need it. Through sharing my music and my lyrics, I hope to do just that, inspire, but also achieve in making my listeners become absorbed in my stories and feelings.

What three words best describe you and your music?
Me and music go hand-in-hand, and for this reason I would describe us as being fighters by the way my family and I always search for more opportunities when something does not work out. The second word is surprising since I enjoy singing everything which surprises me at how easily things come to me and I hope to show others that it is always a smart choice to go out, explore, and take your time. Lastly, the final word is grateful. This word sums up the good and bad times which are in reality the best times of my life. I say this not thinking of how I felt, but what I got out of those situations. Sure, some may have put me down, but those moments made me the girl I am today, one who knows how hard it takes. I have learned to be grateful for the storm, so now I can appreciate the sun, every moment impacts you in a healthy way; embrace each failure as a step towards success.  

Do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in singing and songwriting?
Yes, there are no limits to how much you can grow and achieve. People tell me all the time “Good job! But remember, the sky's the limit,”  I have never really understood this quotation. We live in a world full of opportunities, why settle ourselves at a certain point of our limitless potential? Why settle ourselves already at a certain level before anything even happens? Instead of confirming something about ourselves because of a quotation everyone has come to acknowledge, we are our own decision makers who decide how far we want to achieve something, how much work we want to put in, and it all starts with a goal. “Don’t tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon” (anonymous), that pretty much sums it up, you choose your end result, not what others or a quotation says. Work hard and be grateful, and have faith. A positive mindset is the key to your doors opening, do not close them before you even tried. Listen to yourself first, no one knows you better than yourself.

Do you have any other talents?
Aside from singing, I love acting, public speaking, and writing. Doing both these things make me so happy I can’t be more grateful to have found my passions at an early age. In my acting class, my professor named me as the student who excelled the most and for that I will always be the most thankful because he gave me the confidence to believe I could even do some acting in my spare time. I have also been selected from past schools to write speeches and present in front of the school, and sometimes my essays and fictional stories have been used by my teachers as a guideline to grade other student’s papers. I makes me so proud to know that my hard work really does pay off.    

Are you passionate about any charities, if so, why?
I am an absolute animal lover! I have grown up with cats in my household since I was very little, and I honestly cannot understand why some could possible hurt and abuse noble beings like these. I am very fond of the PETA organization which strives to protect the rights of all animals. I am very passionate about animals and I support PETA for their purpose to save and protect animals from abuse and maltreatment. Some stories are horrifying, but it is also important to learn from these the fact  that some things are not what they seem.

Is education important to you?
I am a full time student, which can be hard, but I manage, since both music and learning are very important to me. Education is the one thing that I know will always carry with me everywhere I go, but I also learn because I enjoy opening my eyes to different topics and exploring my mind along with it. It is my duty as a person to retain the most knowledge, and I try to do this to the best of my ability by getting the best grades possible because that secures my future and safety. Knowledge is power, and without it we are ignorant and that makes us vulnerable. I think it is essential to go down the safe route of learning to be aware of our surroundings since our environment is the birthplace of all our problems, and our happiness.

We want to thank Gabriela for taking the time to answer our questions on her music and more. You can follow her on Twitter by clicking here, like her on Facebook here and subscribe to her Youtube here.

It is our hope that Gabriela will be really successful in her music and life.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love how the article turned out! Thank you so much Mr. Mills for the invite and willingness to make an article about my career. As you can imagine, this is a very special time for my family and myself, and your effort and support means a lot to me as my career evolves. Thanks again, and I wish you all the best in your future plans and projects. Best, Gabriela Sepulveda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview!! I love you Gaby!!

    ReplyDelete