Friday, January 10, 2014

EXCLUSIVE Musician Spotlight: Serena Laurel Interview

Los Angeles, California - In Los Angeles comes a beautiful, talented thirteen year old singer by the name of Serena Laurel. Serena Laurel, multi-talented teenager was born in Richmond, Virginia. She officially started her career at age 6, with a modeling contract by FORD kids of Miami. Serena Laurel performed in local theaters while living in Florida, and then moved to TV with a PSA for Hubbard House and Co-Star role in BJ's Teddy Bear Bible Stories on INSP. Her work includes principal roles in regional and national commercials, print campaigns, and film work. Serena has already built an impressive list of credits including Build-A-Bear, Arm & Hammer, Cedar Fair, Chase Visa, Cracker Barrel, Kohl's, Harry Potter/Universal promos. Serena is a recognizable face for Bealls Florida girls fashions. She was featured in "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked." and plays Sarah, a co-starring role in the Fantasy Short Film "Phoenix Song” that continues to collect awards at film festivals This talent is a teenager with a beautiful heart. She volunteers singing with Tunes-for-Tots, a charity working as a team to help make dreams come true for children with life threatening medical conditions. As president of her school's Junior Student Council along with her bright enthusiasm for projects, Serena is a poised role model for other students to follow. Currently living in Hollywood to follow her heart.

We had the chance to interview this multi-talented young lady by the name of Serena Laurel. Here is what she had to say.

When did you start singing?
My dad likes to tell stories about how he would lay his guitar on my mom’s belly then play and sing to me or my mom. I’m not sure he really knew. But he wanted to entertain somebody. He said he wanted “the baby” to feel the music. So, maybe before I was born.

Was it your dream to be a singer?

My dream as a kid was to simply play. In the entertainment business, I started out modeling and working on commercials which lead to theatrical work. I started learning guitar when I was 5. Our church had a guitar fellowship that I attended every week. I really decided I wanted to sing in 2nd grade after a visit to our classroom by a local folk singer-songwriter named Kate Carpenter. She asked me to help demonstrate her songs to the other classes and then requested me to audition for a CD she was recording. I was very excited about my audition to sing and decided I needed to work hard on being a great singer.

Tell us about your style of singing?
When I was 8, my first vocal coach said I had a jazzy
type voice. I didn’t really know what she meant.  But now that I think about it….. she was right on target. I enjoy singing songs with unique tones that are typically singer-songwriter style that have jazz / blues qualities with a twist of pop.

Are there challenges pursuing a singing career?
Yes, there are those nasty calluses for guitar players. Also, my love for fancy long finger nails gets in the way a bit on my left hand. But the biggest challenge is going at my own pace and staying true to myself despite all outside forces and opinions. It’s not always good to be in the fast lane.

Does your parents and friends support you?
Yes. I couldn't do it without them. But my mom is always there for me.
She is an amazing artist and always finds a way to help me make my ideas reality.

Do you write your own songs?
I don’t currently have any original songs produced. But yes, I have written songs am working on getting them produced.
Stay tuned….

If so, tell us what goes into writing a great song?
Brilliance, wit and a good story.

Where was your first performance, were you excited?
 I remember clearly my first performance where I played my guitar and sang. it was an outdoor Christmas street festival in Riverside-Avondale, Florida. I was very young and It was chilly outside. I squeezed and strummed my guitar so hard that it made my fingers bleed.
Of course, there was my dad with his fingers in a rock-n-roll sign standing proud and embarrassing me.

Where have you been able to perform?
Most recently, The House of Blues in Hollywood on Sunset Blvd.
with shows coming up on Feb. 9th. and March 2nd.

Who inspires you with your singing and songwriting?
Right now, I am drawing from my own experiences.

If you could perform anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
Paris. I want to practice speaking French.

Along the same line, who would you love to perform with?
Katy Perry because her shows are so elaborate, colorful and happy.

What are some of your goals for your Music?
I hope to collaborate with other talented to musicians. The big plan is to stay open minded and follow my heart.

What do you hope to accomplish with your singing/songwriting?
I want to be an artist that makes the world a more beautiful place to live in everything I do.

What three words best describe you and your music?
1. Retro-stylish
2. Acoustic
3. Mint

Do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in singing and songwriting?  “
"Seguire il vostro cuore” that means follow your heart in Italian. I was named after my Italian grandmother.

Is there anything else you want our readers to know about you, your singing/songwriting?
At home I design & draw fashions that I would like wear and absolutely love playing games.
Game-on..... I am very good at chess, poker and mine-craft.

Do you have any other talents? 
Besides raising one eyebrow separately in an awkward fashion...... I am a multi-talent. I also act, dance and model. Most recently booked a National Commercial for Kohl’s.

This thirteen year old is one to watch as she is a beautiful, talented young lady who has a bright future ahead.
You can find Serena on social media sites below.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/serenalaurelwow
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SerenaLaurelOfficial
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SerenaLaurelOfficial
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3481804/

Serena Laurel will be performing at the House of Blues Sunset Strip in West Hollywood, California on January 12th at 5pm pst.























5 comments:

  1. Serena is an Absolutely Refreshing, shining bright, and beautifully talented teenager star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful young talent...great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still love you and I am still following you, Serena! Your old friend (60 now) Mrs. Kate Carpenter

    ReplyDelete
  4. 13 years old and making a positive difference in the world with her music. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've known Serena and her mom for several years online. I'm hoping to meet them in person some day before too long. I also hope to cast Serena in a movie I'm developing that will give her the chance to collaborate with other talented musicians. She is as beautiful inside as she is outside.

    ReplyDelete